Diabetes Awareness Month
- 1/3 of the people with diabetes, don’t even know that they have the disease
- According the American Diabetes Association(ADA) diabetes kills more people than breast cancer and AIDS every year.
- Eating excessive amounts of sugar will not cause diabetes; however, excessive weight gain can put you at greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes. People with diabetes can eat sweets, but in moderation and combined with exercise.
- Symptoms of diabetes, include extreme fatigue, increased appetite, unexplained weight loss, blurry vision, frequent urination and nausea.
- There’s a myth that diabetes is an old person disease, there has been a significant increase in children under 18 being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 1.85 million women between ages 18 and 44 have diabetes, nearly 500,000 are undiagnosed.
- There is no cure for diabetes. Even if you are exercising and eating right, once you have it, you have it for life.
- If your diabetes can be controlled by diet and exercise, then insulin will be given. Insulin is a natural hormone that keeps blood glucose levels healthy to prevent complications.
- Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness in working-age adults, according to the CDC.
JeanBrownResearch.com is a Salt Lake City based clinical trial research organization, specializing in pain management and diabetic studies, among other types of clinical trials. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.