If I Have BPH, Do I Have Prostate Cancer?

Aug 24, 2015 | CenExel JBR, Clinical Trial

If I Have BPH, Do I Have Prostate Cancer?

Aug 24, 2015CenExel JBR, Clinical Trial

An enlarged prostate, also known as Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), generally affects men as early as 40 and as late as 80. Additionally, once men reach age 75+, 50% of this population may experience symptoms of BPH.

So, while the odds of experiencing the condition increase as you age, you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that a diagnosis of BPH doesn’t necessarily mean you have or will develop prostate cancer.

Initial symptoms of both disorders can be very similar, so it can be difficult to determine which prostate problem you may have. That’s why it’s always critical to talk to a doctor and get tested if you experience:

  • Weak or interrupted urine flow
  • Frequent urination at night
  • Dribbling of urine
  • Feelings of a full bladder

What are the differences between BPH and prostate cancer?

Exact causes of benign prostatic hyperplasia are unknown. A natural decline in testosterone and an increase in estrogen levels due to aging are believed by many researchers to be a possibility. Other experts think low dihydrotestosterone could be the culprit in allowing cells to grow in the prostate. But the biggest difference between the two is that BPH cannot spread to other areas of the body.

On the other hand, the causes of prostate cancer aren’t exactly understood either; however, unregulated growth of prostate cancer cells CAN spread to other areas of the prostate, the pelvis, and to your bones. Typically, prostate cancer happens in men over 70 because the cells of this kind of cancer grow very slowly and generally don’t create problems in the early onset of the disease.

A consultation with your physician is the best way to determine whether you have BPH or prostate cancer. He or she will conduct digital rectal examination as well as a prostate specific antigen test (PSA). This test measures the protein level produced by prostate cells and, subsequently, indicates when the prostate is enlarged or inflamed when the numbers are elevated. 

BPH Clinical Study in Salt Lake City

If after talking to your doctor it is determined that you have BPH, you may be eligible for an enlarged prostate study being conducted in Salt Lake City, Utah. JBR Clinical Research urologists are currently conducting a study on an investigational treatment for BPH. We are currently seeking males 50 years and older who have BPH or an enlarged prostate.

If you qualify, you will receive:

  • Study related exam
  • Investigational treatment
  • Compensation for time and travel related to the study

Call JBR Clinical Research at 801-261-2000 or complete the online BPH research study form to see if you qualify.